Re: Someone’s Been Siphoning Data Through a Huge Security Hole in the Internet

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Dec 6 18:05:54 UTC 2013

On Dec 6, 2013, at 12:38 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/12/bgp-hijacking-belarus-iceland/
>
> Someone’s Been Siphoning Data Through a Huge Security Hole in the Internet

> In 2008, two security researchers at the DefCon hacker conference
> demonstrated a massive security vulnerability in the worldwide internet
> traffic-routing system — a vulnerability so severe that it could allow
> intelligence agencies, corporate spies or criminals to intercept massive
> amounts of data, or even tamper with it on the fly.

Yes, nothing new to see here, networks don't do BGP filtering well, no Film at 11?

I've detected 11.6 million of these events since 2008 just looking at the
route-views data.  Most recently the past two days 701 has done a large MITM of
traffic.

In other news, you can go read the other thread on this that happened already.

http://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2013-November/062257.html

- Jared