Parsing Syslog and Acting on it, using other input too

Charles N Wyble charles-lists at knownelement.com
Thu Aug 29 17:14:40 UTC 2013

Yes. Logstash shipper on your syslog proxy, forward to elasticsearch. Graylog2 is very cool. Tried kibana and didn't care for it.

Actually setting up graylog2 right now to do AD authentication.

So workflow is

End device -> syslog-ng vm -> graylog2/elasticsearch vm and other destinations (it corp security cloud for stuff they want to track, observium for anything matching my network gear hostname pattern, etc).

I have the middle syslog-ng box so I can have great control over where certain hosts ultimately send data. However that system can be used in any template, if I don't filter it just gets dumped to graylog.