Trivium

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon Aug 19 19:27:39 UTC 2013

It's pretty well known that the "hottest searches"
pages put up by the major search engines filter
out the extremely high levels of background noise.

Compare
http://www.google.com/trends/

with
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#cmpt=q

while it's more engaging to show the hottest
searches as being about your favorite actor
or singer, the truth is, those search queries
over any appreciable length of time are
drowned out by the awe-inspiring number
of people typing things like "facebook.com"
into the search box so they can click on the
link to facebook...instead of just typing it
into the URL bar directly.  Same with people
searching for yahoo on google, or hotmail on
yahoo.  It isn't the cool, sexy data people want
to see, so it gets trimmed out of the "hottest
search" results pages.

darn it.  I had something else I was going to
add, but that was 2 hours and two phone
calls ago, and now it's completely gone.  :/

Matt