"It's the end of the world as we know it" -- REM

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Apr 25 15:24:47 UTC 2013

So here is the question I have: when we run out, is there *anything* that
will reasonably allow an ISP to *not* deploy carrier grade NAT? Assuming
that it's death for the ISP to just say no to the long tail of legacy v4-only
sites?

One thing that occurs to me though is that it's sort of in an ISP's interest
to deploy v6 on the client side because each new v6 site that lights up on
the internet side is less traffic forced through the CGN gear which is ultimately
a cost down. So maybe an alternative to a death penalty is a molasses penalty:
make the CGN experience operable but bad/congested/slow :)

Mike