Verizon DSL moving to CGN

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Apr 8 12:02:34 UTC 2013

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013, Tore Anderson wrote:

> If this is to be called "translation", then any tunneling mechanism that
> works by stacking layer-3 headers, including GRE, IPIP, ESP, and
> proto-41, must be also called "translation".

Oki, my bad. I read
https://ripe65.ripe.net/presentations/91-townsley-map-ripe65-ams-sept-24-2012.pdf
and obviously didn't understand. I thought only the payload was
encapsulated, not the complete IPv4 packet. It said "replace IPv4 header
with IPv6 header" and I missed that this was for MAP-T, not MAP-E).

Thanks for explaining. I understand why MAP-E is not translation now.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se