Angled Polish Connectors and DWDM

Aaron Glenn aaron.glenn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 06:57:54 UTC 2012

dear peoples of NANOG,

I've always held the -- possibly completely false -- notion that
angled connectors (APC) were not idea for fiber spans carrying
multiple dense/DWDM wavelengths. However, after copious amounts of
googling and duckduckgo'ing I cannot find an opinion or tech note one
way or the other. Are there situations when angled connectors are not
to be used? Are they 'safe' or even recommended for any kind of DWDM
application? I know they're not meant for mating directly with optics,
but for panels, x-conns, and distribution frames...?

I have this sinking feeling I've been misunderstanding angled
connectors all these years. cluebats are appreciated. please be
gentle.

thanks,
aaron