guys != gender neutral

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Fri Sep 28 09:27:10 UTC 2012

> Given the lack of truly neutral terms in english, I have
> taken to alternative my pronouns interchangably when I write.

"Folks"?  I really do mean "folks" when I write "guys", but I do understand why it can come across as exclusionary, and I try to force myself into the habit of "folks".  It sounds a bit odd in English, although not as archaic as "chaps", which I'm also guilty of; I'm assuming there's no additional cultural assumptions attached to "folks" in American?

Cheers,
Tim.