Are NAT'ed networks part of the Internet?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Sep 27 14:55:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:23:34AM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out whether CERNET http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERNET
> is part of the official Internet, or is behind the Great Firewall where
> access to invididual networks on the public Internet must be explicitly
> granted. Anyone in the know?

Well, they are part of -my- Internet. I'm Bill Manning and I approved this message.
(there, its offical too)

Since you raise the issue of "firewall" - I'll raise you one and ask;

"Are networks behind NAT/ALG or that use RFC 1918 or the v6 equivalent address space,
part of the 'Internet' or are they in networks where access to addresses/service ports
must be explicitly granted?"

/bill