/. Terabit Ethernet is Dead, for Now

Steve Meuse smeuse at mara.org
Thu Sep 27 13:56:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se>wrote:

> I opposed 40GE, but since physics is a lot of the problem here, I think
> 400GE is favorable over 1TE. Already now we're sitting with platforms with
> forwarding performance per slot that doesn't really match 100GE nicely,
> imagine the equivalent problem for 1TE. By the time this is ready, will
> platforms be at slightly over 1T per slot, perhaps it then makes more sense
> to have 3x400GE instead of 1x1TE per slot.

1Tb/s per slot is a reality that will be here sooner than many might
realize.

I think the bonded vs. native argument can come down to optical bandwidth.
If you are limited to N number of wavelengths on a segment having faster
native interfaces becomes desirable (assuming similar optical bandwidth per
unit).

-Steve