The optimistically named Project Moonshot (was Re: POLL: 802.1x deployment)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 26 18:26:31 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Peter J. Cherny" <peterc at luddite.com.au>

> I've (re)sent this to the list as no-one else has noted it <g>
>
> Possibly a game-changer in the (academic) 802.1x space ...
> http://www.project-moonshot.org/diary
> http://www.painless-security.com/blog/

I did see that come in, and was going to look into it more deeply tonight;
if it is -- as it appears to be -- a framework for globally federated
identification/authentication, then it will probably hit the same walls
(of theory, not merely implementation) which other earlier attempts
have hit: privacy and non-correlation being prime among them.

It's orthogonal to 802.1x, though, unless anyone's shipping code to hook
a dot1x server to it as you would, say, a Radius server.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra