POLL: 802.1x deployment

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Tue Sep 25 22:37:38 UTC 2012

> If you regularly use one or more 802.1x protected networks, could you take
> a moment to reply off-list, and tell me the size of the network (homelab,
> smb, enterprise, carrier), and, if you know, how long 802.1x has been deployed
> there?

Surely you are joking, Mr. Ashworth.

The entirety of eduroam is on 802.1X (better known as WPA Enterprise).
That must be an 8-digit number of users.
If you need a list of sites, start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduroam
(but, aside from the US, it mostly lists just the countries).
When you are done drilling down, there should be about 6500 names of sites on the list.

If you are talking about wired .1X: It is relatively common for eduroam-enabled
institutions to also provide publicly accessible wired ports controlled by .1X
and connected to the same RADIUS servers.  But I don't have any numbers at all.

> I'm also interested in whether any network you use has dropped .1x.

eduroam deployment started in 2003.
Your university academic computing environment would need to be pretty stupid to leave eduroam once it is deployed.
But stranger things have happened.
If your academic computing environment is not yet on eduroam, they still almost certainly use .1X for the wireless.
Not all 100+ million students worldwide have access to on-campus WiFi, but nowadays most do.

Grüße, Carsten