IPv6 Address allocation best practises for sites.

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Sep 24 23:56:13 UTC 2012

William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> but I also can't imagine hosting more than 65,000 sites on a single
> server.

Demon's homepages service was based on IPv4 virtual hosting and had IIRC a
/16 and two /18s allocated to it. It was a single web server with a few
reverse proxies that took most of the load and that also had all the IP
addresses. The Irix version used a cunning firewall configuration to
accept connections to all the addresses without stupid numbers of virtual
interfaces; the BSD version used a kernel hack.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/12071

On the web server we stuffed the IP address into the filesystem path name
to find the document root. (Or used various evil hacks to map the IP
address to a canonical virtual server host name before stuffing the latter
in the path.)

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.