The Department of Work and Pensions, UK has an entire /8

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Sep 21 00:01:57 UTC 2012

On 18-Sep-12 23:11, Mike Hale wrote:
> "this is the arin vigilante cultural view of the world.  luckily, the disease does not propagate sufficiently to cross oceans."
>
> I'd love to hear the reasoning for this.  Why would it be bad policy to force companies to use the resources they are assigned or give them back to the general pool?

In theory, that sounds great.  However, the legal basis for actually
taking them back is questionable since they pre-date the RIR system,
registration agreements, utilization requirements, etc.  And, in
practice, those who _aren't_ using their assignments have, for the most
part, given them back voluntarily, so it's a moot point.

Also, as in the case at hand, most of the blocks that generate
complaints turn out to be, upon closer examination, actively in use but
just not advertised--at least on the particular internet that the
complainer is using.  Hint: there is more than one internet.