RIRs give out unique addresses (Was: something has a /8! ...)

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Thu Sep 20 15:55:27 UTC 2012

>From a practical point of view as a service provider, I would assume my
customer would not be pleased to be assigned an address that prevented
them from communicating with anyone on the Internet that wants to
communicate with them.  We can debate the details of who does what but
every network operator will have to deal with their own customer.  If
they have an address block assigned to them, they will most likely want
me to route it as well as work with any other service provider to ensure
that they can get where they need to go.  For example, if one of my
customers cannot get to anyone on AT&T or Comcast they will expect me to
solve the issue for them.

As the customer's single point of contact with the Internet we
effectively have to deal with all of their issues even if they are
caused by another service provider.

All the ISPs raise your hand, if you were assigned a block of address
space by ARIN or RIPE and you could not globally route it, would you be
upset?

Of course there are times I want a globally unique address space and do
not want to route it but the whole point of being globally unique is
that I would like the option to route it if I wanted to.  The
requirement for globally unique but non-routable space is most
definitely an edge case, not the norm.

Steven Naslund