IMPLEMENTING A SOFTWARE BASED ROUTE SERVER

John Kemp kemp at network-services.uoregon.edu
Thu Sep 20 07:34:43 UTC 2012

On 9/19/12 5:29 AM, Phil Regnauld wrote:
> Joseph M. Owino  (jpmuga) writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Hope you are all well. I work at an exchange point and was seeking any assistance on how to implement a software based route server as currently we are using a Cisco Router for that purpose. Any form of assistance will be highly appreciated.
> 	Hello Joseph,
>
> 	You could do this in a number of ways, running Quagga or BIRD (or even
> 	BGPD) on a Linux or BSD server.
>
> 	Quagga documentation even has a chapter on this:
>
> 	http://www.nongnu.org/quagga/docs/quagga.html#SEC115
>

> 	I'm sure several people on this list have experience with this and will
> 	contribute. Also, it might be send this inquiry to the AfNOG list as well
> 	(afnog.org).
>
> 	Finally (plug) we have some resources that may be of interest to you here:
>
> 	https://nsrc.org/route-bgp-ixp.html
>
> 	Cheers,
> 	Phil

Thought I would add some more links (Bird related...).
Seems like the genesis has been from a single-rib on the RS
to RIBs-per-client.  And more recently to using the IRRs for
additional filtering options.  AMS-IX for example:
https://www.ams-ix.net/technical/specifications-descriptions/ams-ix-route-servers

Here's that BIRD stuff...
http://www.peering-forum.eu/epf3/presentations/day1/inex-epf-dublin-2008-09-15-01.pdf
https://git.nic.cz/redmine/projects/bird/wiki/Route_server_with_community_based_filtering