The Department of Work and Pensions, UK has an entire /8

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Sep 20 03:24:09 UTC 2012

In message <505A8828.9040105 at dougbarton.us>, Doug Barton writes:
> On 09/19/2012 15:36, Joe Maimon wrote:
> > So 6-8 years to try and rehabilitate 240/4 was not even enough to try?
>
> All the experts I consulted with told me that the effort to make this
> workable on the big-I Internet, not to mention older private networks;
> would be equivalent if not greater than the effort to deploy v6 ... and
> obviously with much less long-term benefit.
>
> Doug

And for those cases I would agree with you and the experts.

However it would have been possible to use 240/4 between CPE and a
6rd BR and CGN with CPE signaling that it can use 240/4 address it
is assigned one.  This could be done incrementally and would have
been better than the /10 that was eventually allocated for that
purpose.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC