They aren't on *MY* Internet, so I should get their space!

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Sep 19 18:14:58 UTC 2012

I'm renaming the thread to what the argument really is.

On Sep 19, 2012, at 11:01 AM, Cutler James R wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2012, at 1:42 PM, Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
>>
>> And second, have you ever worked on a private intranet that wasn't connected to the internet through a firewall? Skipping oob networks for equipment management, neither have I.
>
> Yes, for many years.  External connections only via Application Level Gateways for SMTP, HTTP and Virtual Network connections.  And, using assigned IPv4 addresses. And, no one willing to pay for IPv6.

You are making my point for me. Does your internet deal with duplication of IP space inside and outside the gateways? Is that easy to deal with?

Thus my point is made. Just because you don't have direct connectivity to *every* point on the Internet does not mean that you don't need unique space.

--
Jo Rhett