IPv6 Ignorance

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Sep 18 22:09:42 UTC 2012

In message <86lig7cvpw.fsf at seastrom.com>, "Robert E. Seastrom" writes:

> Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> writes:
>
> > I came across these threads today; the blind ignorance towards IPv6 from
> > some of the posters is kind of shocking.
>
> There are actually a few good points mixed in there, like the guy who
> observes that dual stacking is of limited utility if there are no v4
> addresses to be had.

Dual stack w/ CGN for IPv4.  That can be supplied a number of ways
and it has more limitations for IPv4 that conventional CPE based
NAT.

Turning on dual stack, even at this late stage, lights up IPv6,
moves most of the traffic to IPv6 so that CGN's don't need to be
so beefy, and doesn't mean that you have to have perfect IPv6
everywhere when you turn on IPv6.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC