Big Temporary Networks

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Tue Sep 18 20:03:00 UTC 2012

On Sep 13, 2012, at 7:29 AM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> I'm talking to the people who will probably be, in 2015, running the first
> Worldcon I can practically drive to, in Orlando, at -- I think -- the Disney
> World Resort.  I've told them how critical the issue is for this market; they,
> predictably, replied "We look forward to your patch".  :-}

So I just want to point out that this is an utterly irrelevant topic. Worldcon is full to the brim with really smart people who can build good networks, but in every place large enough to host a Worldcon the owners of the building make money selling Internet access and don't want competition. The very best we've been able to do was create an Internet Lounge with good connectivity, and even that isn't acceptable at most locations.

So this really is an irrelevant topic, unless you want to create an LTE network with good connectivity near the location and sell bandwidth via that.  (Phones and tablets outnumber laptop computers by a facter of 20:1 at scifi conventions)

Off-topic: FWIW Hellsinki is a hell of a lot more likely. Remember that the membership votes on where to go, and Orlando really doesn't top anyone's list. Especially since Orlando keeps blowing off the very legitimate concerns that other people have raised about the location, including that Disney takes a dim view of anyone except their own paid actors wearing costumes, and more importantly the lack of inexpensive food options.

If for some reason Hellsinki's bid falls apart, Spokane has better facilities and good LTE network support.

--
Jo Rhett