IPv6 Ignorance

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Sep 17 14:02:31 UTC 2012

On 17/09/2012 14:37, Adrian Bool wrote:
> It seems a tad unfair that the bottom 80 bits are squandered away with a
> utilisation rate of something closely approximating  zero

You are thinking in ipv4 mode.  In ipv6 mode, the consideration is not how
many hosts you have, but how many subnets you are dealing with.  Instead of
thinking of 128 bits of addressing space, we talk about 64 bits of subnet
space.  So your statement comes down to: "it seems a tad unfair that the
bottom 16 bits are squandered away".  This is a more difficult argument to
make.

Nick