Big Temporary Networks

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Sep 16 16:22:57 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Masataka Ohta" <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp>

> Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > You're saying that *receiving* multicast streams over WLAN works
> > poorly?
>
> Multicast/broadcast over congested WLAN works poorly, because
> there can be no ACK.
>
> That is, multicast/broadcast packets lost by collisions are
> never sent again.

Well, yes, but that wasn't what Bill was talking about.  He was talking about
AP's being "nice" to associated clients who are in powersave mode, at the
expensive of all the other connected clients, by buffering multicast packets
until one or more DTIM frames are sent.

We expect live streams to drop a packet here and there; that's what buffering
is for... and why television proper still exists.

Cheers,
-- jra