Big Temporary Networks

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Sat Sep 15 09:31:24 UTC 2012

On 13 Sep 2012, at 17:32, Tim Franklin <tim at pelican.org> wrote:

>> You'll need a beefy NAT box.  Linux with Xeon CPU and 4GB RAM minimum.
> Or not.  The CCC presentation is showing *real* Internet for everyone, unless I'm very much mistaken…

Absolutely. NAT is too fragile/expensive/non-performant for these setups. CGN boxes are too new to be economically borrowed/rented, maybe one day it will be possible, but for now we can still get the address space required (Timespan issues notwithstanding)

On 13 Sep 2012, at 21:03, Chris Boyd <cboyd at gizmopartners.com> wrote:

> If you know of an ISP in Central Texas that can deploy a 10Mbit plus connection along with a /22 of v4 address space for a 1 day event, please let me know. TWCable has been pretty easy to work with for special events, but I'd be really surprised to see them be able to do that.

I suggest either getting a L2 circuit or else IPIP/GRE tunnel to somewhere with a functioning internet market. It is far preferable to tunnel than it is to have session state in the network.

I've been part of the team deploying networking to various leafy parts of the Netherlands (e.g. HAR2009), ex-soviet airbases (CCC Camp), a park in Milton Keynes, UK (EMF2012). With some thought and creative planning it is possible to bring in a useful uplink in the 300M-10G+ range. [I'm not sure I remember those DS3s and OC3s that other posters are talking about, something these days used only in developing countries i thought ;-)]

As a network engineer, these events are a great way to meet people with different experience, talk to eager young folk, do things in a different way and generally have a reset on your professional life. You might even get some sun too :-)