Big Temporary Networks

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Sep 14 15:53:01 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Matthew Barr" <mbarr at snap-interactive.com>

> and as I was working the Hugo's:
>
> On Sep 14, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

The camera ops had to be union?  Hmmm.  Ah, Chicago.  Yes.

> There was an IT head, but he was responsible for the laptops / staff
> network, printers, etc.

Got it.

> The hotel itself had the conference wireless, instead of it being
> brought in.

Yes, and I'm told by my best friend who did attend (I didn't make it
this year) that the hotel wired/wifi was essentially unusable, every
time he tried.  Hence my interest in the issue.

> > My understanding was that Dragon *took its main feed* for the Hugos
> > via Ustream, and the entire room got left standing; no?
>
> Dragon took it's feed for the hugo's through Ustream, as did the
> *overflow* rooms onsite. It was easier to go to the internet & back,
> than to get a direct cable.

Ok, then I was correctly informed; thanks.

Cheers,
-- jra