Big Temporary Networks

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Fri Sep 14 11:19:09 UTC 2012

On 14/09/2012 12:11, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> I've used it a couple of times and then a week was sufficient (start
> rigging on monday, everything done by thursday morning where 5000 people
> show up with their computers (this was mainly 10/100 ports, people brought
> their own cables), teardown and turning off the network, and then returning
> the space to RIPE on monday.

Realistically, the timescales specified in the policy are too short.  As
there is no ability for the RIPE NCC to pre-assign the space (i.e. let you
know in advance what address range you'll be getting, but not give you the
go-ahead to use it), it can make it extremely difficult for conference
organisers to work within the specified timescales.  Also, 1 week is not
suitable for debogonisation.

I will be talking about this at the address policy working group session at
RIPE65.  It shouldn't be too difficult to fix the problem, so long as it's
clear what people actually need from these temporary addresses.

Nick