Big Temporary Networks

Dylan Bouterse dylan at corp.power1.com
Thu Sep 13 20:19:38 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Josh Baird [mailto:joshbaird at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:03 PM
To: Donald Eastlake
Cc: NANOG
Subject: Re: Big Temporary Networks

We have been using Unifi (a Ubiquiti WIFI product) for local conventions and festivals.  The product is fairly cheap, robust, and their access points have very good range.  We have deployed it at several commercial businesses as well with great success.  The deployment is very easy.  We run the controller on a VM at our NOC, but you can also run it locally at the event as well.

Besides this, we have a fairly beefy box that handles DNS and DHCP and basic firewalling.

Josh

The UniFi line is hard to beat for the price. The controller software is free and the base access points are <$100, in fact you can get a  3-pack for <$200. Deployment of the APs would be 95% of the work. Configuration via the software would take minutes.

Dylan