The End-To-End Internet (was Re: Blocking MX query)

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Thu Sep 6 17:59:13 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 01:49:06PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:

> the DNS and won't discover anything about the DNS that can't be had
> via getaddrinfo() until long after its too late redefine the protocol
> in terms of seeking SRV records.

Oh, sure, I get that.  One of the problems I've had with the "end to
end NAT" argument is exactly that I can't see how it's any more
deployable than IPv6, for exactly this reason.  But the claim upthread
was (I thought) that the application _can't_ know about this stuff,
not that it's hard today.  Because of the 20-year problem, I think now
would be an excellent time to start thinking about how to make usable
all those nice features we already have in the DNS.  Maybe by the time
I die, we'll have a useful system!

Best,

Andrew "living in constant, foolish, failed hope" Sullivan

--
Andrew Sullivan
Dyn Labs
asullivan at dyn.com