The End-To-End Internet (was Re: Blocking MX query)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Sep 5 22:56:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Izaac <izaac at setec.org> wrote:
> I suspect your ISP is also stripping <sarcasm> tags.  Let's try it out
> again:
>
>    You can tell that tcp port 25 filtering is a highly effective spam
>    mitigation technique because spam levels have declined in direct
>    proportion to their level of deployment.  Today, we barely see any
>    spam on the internet due to amazing ability of these filters to
>    prevent bad people from sending bulk email.

Thing is, spam levels *are* down a good 20% in the last couple years,
that being about the time ISPs began doing this. More, 20% *is* in
rough proportion the impacted customer counts on the handful of cable
and DSL providers that implemented it.

And if you remind me that correlation is not causation I'll have to
point out the same flaw in your more sarcastic version.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004