The End-To-End Internet (was Re: Blocking MX query)

Henry Stryker henry at hup.org
Wed Sep 5 19:07:22 UTC 2012

On 09/05/12 09:13 , Michael Thomas wrote:
> The "I" part of DKIM is "Identified". That's all it promises. It's a
> feature, not a bug, that spammers use it.

Which is why DKIM does not really address any concerns.  The spammers
have reduced its value.

I am retired now, but do run my own mail server from home.  It is a
challenge.  Not all static IP's provided by ISP's are outside of "home
IP groups", so you will find some of them blocked at some large domains.
 SPF and DKIM do help, a bit.  What I have found really makes the home
MTA possible are

1. a "real" static IP
2. proper DNS (A and PTR; PTR must at least exist)
3. tuning your MTA to respect the restraints of various large ISP's

Lacking 1 & 2, it is just not worth the effort attempting direct
delivery, if you value actual delivery of your email.  I would never
even attempt such from a peripatetic laptop.