The End-To-End Internet (was Re: Blocking MX query)

David Miller dmiller at tiggee.com
Tue Sep 4 20:07:06 UTC 2012

On 9/4/2012 2:22 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

The end-to-end design principle pushes application functions to
endpoints instead of placing these functions in the network itself.
This principle requires that endpoints be *capable* of creating
connections to each other.  Network system design must support these
connections being initiated by either side - which is where NAT
implementations usually fail.

There is no requirement that all endpoints be *permitted* to connect to
and use any service of any other endpoint.  The end-to-end design
principle does not require a complete lack of authentication or
authorization.

I can refuse connections to port 25 on my endpoint (mail server) from
hosts that do not conform to my requirements (e.g. those that do not
have forward-confirmed reverse DNS) without violating the end-to-end
design principle in any way.

Thus it is a false chain of conclusions to say that:
- end-to-end is violated by restricting connections to/from certain hosts
[therefore]
- the end-to-end design principle is not important
[therefore]
- NAT is good

...which I believe is the argument that was being made? ...

Ref - http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoend.pdf