Regarding smaller prefix for hijack protection

Richard Barnes richard.barnes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 12:07:42 UTC 2012

This seems like an opportune time to remind people about RPKI-based
origin validation as a hijack mitigation:
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sidr-pfx-validate-08>
<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/configuration/15-2s/irg-origin-as.pdf>

I haven't run the numbers, but it seems like doing RPKI-based origin
validation is probably a lot cheaper than upgrading routers to store a
fully deaggregated route table :)