Semi-automated L3 interface DNS records

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Oct 18 22:44:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 12:57:16PM -0700, Pedersen, Sean wrote:
> Does anyone out there have any experience with a script, tool or appliance
> that would help manage the creation and maintenance of DNS records for
> Layer 3 interfaces on routers and switches?

http://cluepon.net/ras/generate_dnsptr_generic_php

A relatively simple example using php, with the net-snmp module and Net_IPv4
from PEAR. For extra bonus points, it parses your BGP state and uses any
neighbor ASNs it finds for the remote side of your /30 or /31s, and it
resolves point-to-point SVIs to physical ports by checking against the vlan
tables. The later part was only tested on Cisco 6500s, and I haven't touched
that code (or those boxes) in many many years, so no guarantees about using
it on anything else. :)

Out of date DNS PTRs in traceroute make baby jesus cry, so please use
copiously.