IPv4 address length technical design

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Fri Oct 5 17:30:23 UTC 2012

Don't change anything! That would...change things!

Obviously my idea to use the host name directly as a src/dest address
rather than convert it to an integer is not a small, incremental
change. It's more in the realm of a speculative proposal.

But I'm not sure that arguing that our string of bits (e.g., ipv6) is
inherently superior to your proposed string of bits (a host name) is
an immediately compelling objection.

The objection which puzzles me the most is the implication that a
numeric address locates a host or network directly or geographically
rather than, as I understood it, by the tuple (address,route).

Well, geographically? Since when, except at the very end of the
routing sequence?

   "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight
   you, then you win" -- Mahatma Gandhi

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada