"Programmers can't get IPv6 thus that is why they do not have IPv6 in their applications"....

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Nov 27 21:07:00 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-27 20:21, mike wrote:
> On 11/26/12 9:32 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>>
>> The main problem with IPv6 only is that most app developers (most
>> programmers totally) do not really have access to this, so no testing
>> is being done.
>>
> This is a point that is probably more significant than is
> appreciated. If the app, IT, and networking ecosystem don't even have
> access to ipv6 to play around with, you can be guaranteed that they
> are going to be hesitant about lighting v6 up in real life.

I cannot be saf for the people who claim to be programmers who do things
with networking and who do not care to follow the heavy hints that they
have been getting for at least the last 10 years that their applications
need to start supporting IPv6. Especially as APIs like getaddrinfo()
make it really easy to do so.

The following excellent article by our beloved true IPv6 Samuarai Itojun
is from 1998: http://www.kame.net/newsletter/19980604/

Thus it is not like the information is not out there either.

As for actually getting IPv6 at home or at work, there are so many ways
to get that, thus not having it is a completely ridiculous excuse.
(It might not be native, so wh00p, you can test fine also on a local
link in the extreme case)

Remember that silly thing called the 6bone and what the purpose of that
was back then, indeed, for getting connectivity to the people so that
they could fix their code and that ran from 1996 till 2006, 10 years
where one could have fixed up those apps that was already 6 years ago again.

As such, if an application does not do proper IPv6 today the people in
charge of the thing simply did not care...

Greets,
 Jeroen
  who proudly has been providing IPv6 connectivity and IPv6 patches for
  over more than a decade...