Adding GPS location to IPv6 header

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Mon Nov 26 11:20:04 UTC 2012

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Ammar Salih wrote:

> Thank you everyone, I appreciate your feedback and will try to summarize few
> points in one email to avoid duplication .. apologies if I missed any.
>

>> This is not data that should be sent on every packet. It becomes
> redundant.
>

> 1- It does not have to be in every IPv6 header, only when there is location
> update.

It should not be in any IPv6 packet. It has to be in an upper layer
protocol.

> 2- the host should have the option of not sending location updates.

In worst case. Host should have an option to sending location update -
probably not in IP headers, but upper layer protocol.

> 3- I am suggesting an *extension header*, which means that operators will
> have the option of not using it in case they don't want to.

I suggest an upper layer protocol. Something like HTTP, TCP or UDP option.
The server can initiate a carry, and a client can decide to answer with
location information.

>> A good alternative would be to create application layer protocols that
> could request and send GPS positions.
>
> 1- there are already several application-layer mechanisms which have been
> created for this purpose, none of them has been considered by major service
> providers, google for example is still using RIR info for determining
> location-based settings like language.
>

> 2- Layer 7 will not be detected by layer 3 devices (routers) .. so
> location-based service on layer-3 will not be possible.
>

> 3- Currently, many applications do not share same mechanisms to obtain
> location or location-related data, GEOPRIV WG [1] works on http location
> mechanism, but *for the sake of example* VoIP soft-switches may not support
> http protocol, so a new mechanism needs to be developed- which has been done
> [2] .. W3c has also specified another API that provides scripted access to
> geographical location information [3] which has not been considered by
> others ..
>
> that's why I am suggesting a unified lower layer *optional* mechanism which
> is capable of supporting all other applications.

I prefer application and at most the transport layer protocol extension.