Adding GPS location to IPv6 header

Daniel Ankers md1clv at md1clv.com
Sat Nov 24 21:46:48 UTC 2012

It seems to me that there's a big problem with using this for rights
enforcement.

If the header is added by the user's device, then on certain operating
systems it will be trivial for the user to set this to whatever they want
it to be - which would defeat the purpose.
If the header is added by devices out of the user's control so that the
user cannot spoof their location (e.g. ISP routers) then for one thing they
do not know the user's exact location, and for another there needs to be an
additional mechanism for the user to switch the option off.

The suggestion of using this to automatically get web pages in the right
language also does not seem practical.
My devices know that my preferred language is English.  If I take one of
those devices to China, I still want to see web pages in English.
 Additionally there is already an HTTP header to express your preferred
language.

Regards,
Dan