Fiber terminations -- UPC vs APC

Walter Keen walter.keen at rainierconnect.net
Mon Nov 19 21:50:33 UTC 2012

Where I work we maintain a mix of Telecom, Data, and CATV networking.

APC is REQUIRED per many manufacturers for video. It reduces reflections of the signal which in the video world can cause quite a few headaches and has the potential to have severe impact on video quality.

Also, if you're looking at GPON in the future, it also requires it.

We're staring to standardize on all-APC patch panels.

Cisco's SFP reference is not wrong. ONLY UPC is supported, but that is at the SFP interface. For us it means pre-ordering online quite a few LC/UPC -> SC/APC jumpers so we can interface with the patch panels.

So, Both are right. You could just as easily use APC for only video and keep all UPC for data and SONET. We just are going slowly to all APC to keep the management of spare parts easier.