MPLS acceptable latency?

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Nov 15 20:17:44 UTC 2012

--- jared at puck.nether.net wrote:
On Nov 15, 2012, at 2:15 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:
> --- mikeal.clark at gmail.com wrote:

> I have some AT&T MPLS sites under a managed contract with latency
> averaging 75-85 ms without any load.  These sites are only 45 minutes
> away.  What is considered normal/acceptable?

> Coast-to-coast latency is around 60-65msec, so that's high.

What link speed?

Perhaps he's using ISDN or a T1?

Serialization delay is not to be ignored.

I believe serialization delay is so small as to not be
very noticeable.  A coast-to-coast T1 (that is not full)
should have no more latency than a coast-to-coast DS-3
or any other circuit.  After all, the T1 is muxed up and
then down crossing the same BACs in the middle.  The only
serialization delay that is different is at the end points.

scott

(BAC = Big Ass Circuit :)