Whats so difficult about ISSU

Tim Jackson jackson.tim at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:36:16 UTC 2012

I would argue no.

The Class 5 softswitches that are around now are off-the-shelf cPCI or ACTA
hardware running Linux or some other *nix. The TDM -> IP cards are the only
sticky point there to be upgraded, but since everything is a mid-plane, you
can do rolling N:1 upgrades across the cards with minimal (sub 400msec)
impact. There's not a ton special secret sauce there..

To the other point, they probably process way more than 2mbps/s of control
traffic during busy hour, especially in geo-redundant configurations as
lots of things have to be synchronized. I think you're talking more on the
order of 50-120mbps..

Yet all of this works pretty damn well.

--
Tim