HE.net BGP origin attribute rewriting

Steve Meuse smeuse at mara.org
Thu May 31 18:45:16 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Keegan Holley
<keegan.holley at sungard.com>wrote:

> The internet by definition is a network of network so no one entity can
> keep traffic segregated to their network.  Modifying someone else routing
> advertisements without their consent is just as bad as filtering them in my
> opinion.  Doing so to move traffic into your AS in order to gain an
> advantage in peering arrangements and make more money off of the end user
> is just dastardly.

While this is a nice thought, it's not practical in reality. If you give
someone a knob, they are going to turn it. Someone will look to take
advantage of it.

If you pay me, fine. If you don't pay me, I'm not going to allow you to
potentially cost me significant dollars in infrastructure costs just to
preserve the notion of free love and peering :)

-Steve