Re: Vixie warns: DNS Changer ‘blackouts’ inevitable

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu May 31 15:39:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, 31 May 2012 08:14:40 -0500, "cncr04s/Randy" said:

> Exactly how much can it cost to serve up those requests... I mean for
> 9$ a month I have a cpu that handles 2000 *Recursive* Queries a
> second. 900 bux could net me *200,000* a second if not more.
> The government overspends on a lot of things.. they need some one whos
> got the experience to use a bunch of cheap servers for the resolvers
> and a box that hosts the IPs used and then distributes the query
> packets.

For $50/mo I can have a connection from Comcast.  That doesn't mean that
I could run my own cable to the nearest major exchange for anywhere near
$50.

Also, what's the failover if your $9/mo CPU develops a bad RAM card?  Does
your $9/mo CPU have sufficient geographic diversity to survive a backhoe?
And about 4 zillion other things that people that actually have to run production
services worry about...