Help us to help you debug networks

Nick McKeown nickm at stanford.edu
Wed May 30 16:15:10 UTC 2012

Dear Colleague,

I am writing to ask you to help us.... so that we might help you. My
group at Stanford University is building open source tools to
automatically diagnose network failures such as reachability problems,
networks loops, and traffic congestion. Our goal is to create tools that
are useful to people who own and operate real production networks.

Would you be willing to fill out a quick 5-minute survey to help us with
our research? I know we all get asked to fill out a lot of these surveys
- our goal here is to learn from you, so we can help you in your job,
and help the community more broadly. To test our ideas, and to help us
build tools that would be useful to you, we need your input: We want to
know what network problems you deal with in your network. We plan to
publish the results of our survey in an anonymized, aggregated form that
you might find useful, along with our research results. Please feel free
to forward this email.

You can find the survey at http://svy.mk/NetDebug

Many thanks. We really appreciate your time.

- Nick