rpki vs. secure dns?

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Wed May 30 02:44:01 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-29 5:37 PM, Richard Barnes wrote:
>>> I agree with the person higher up the thread that ROVER seems like
>>> just another distribution mechanism for what is essentially RPKI data.

noting, that up-thread person also said "i havn't studied this in detail
so i'm probably wrong."

>> But does that distribution method easily allow you to get the full set of available data?
> >From what little I know, it seems to me that ROVER is optimized for
> point queries, rather than bulk data access.  Which is the opposite of
> making it easy to get full data :)

that's close to the problem but it is not the problem.

RPKI is a catalogue. it's possible to fetch all of the data you could
need, before starting what's basically the "batch job" of computing the
filters you will use at BGP-reception-time to either accept or ignore an
incoming route. if your "fetch and recompute" steps don't work, then
you'll have to continue filtering using stale data. if that data becomes
too stale you're likely to have to turn off the filtering until you can
resynchronize.

ROVER is not a catalogue. it's impossible to know what data you could
need to precompute any route filters, and it's impossible to know what
'all possible rover data' is -- in fact that would be a nonsequitur. you
could i suppose query for every possible netblock (of every possible
size) but that's an awful lot of queries and you'd have to do it every
day in order to see new stuff or to know when to forget old stuff.

the problem is in time domain bounding of data validity and data
reachability. ROVER expects you to be able to query for the information
about a route at the time you receive that route. that's point-in-time
validity and reachability, which you might not have depending on where
the DNS servers are and what order you're receiving routes in. RPKI+ROA
expects you to have periodic but complete access to a catalogue, and
then your future use of the data you fetched has only the risk of
staleness or invalidity, but never reachability.

as others have stated, there is no reference collection of bad ideas.
otherwise we would have written this one up in 1996 when a couple of dns
people looked at the routing system and said 'hey what about something
like [ROVER]?' and the routing people explained in detail why it
wouldn't work.

paul