ISPs and full packet inspection

Don Bowman don at sandvine.com
Fri May 25 13:13:25 UTC 2012

From: not common [mailto:notcommonmistakes at gmail.com]

>Hello,
>
>I am looking for some guidance on full packet inspection at the ISP level.
>
>Is there any regulations that prohibit or provide guidance on this?

Your better to discuss use cases than technology.
E.g. do you plan to do per-user behavioural targeted advertising?
To secure the network from DNS changer malware?
To block slammer worm?
To deploy a session border controller?
To deploy a carrier-grade NAT (LSN)?
To collect bank information and profit?
To enhance the QoS of VoIP?
To deploy a transparent web or video cache?

All of them use packet inspection. All can be achieved w/o packet inspection.
All of them vary wildly in how people would react :)

So... phrase your question and 'guidance' around the use case, not the
method you plan to achieve it today.