Vixie warns: DNS Changer ‘blackouts’ inevitable

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed May 23 21:00:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 04:33:28PM -0400, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM,  <bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com> wrote:
> > Paul will be there to turn things off when
> >        they no longer make money for his company.
>
> is the dns changer thingy making money for isc?

	pretty sure.  a contract w/ the Feds, outsouring contracts w/ affected ISPs
	when the Fed deal runs out, development funding to code these kinds of fixes
	into future versions of software, any number of second and third order fallout.
	No telling how effective constent self-promotion is.  One thing is clear, Paul
	is able to tell a great story.

	but its all speculation from here. ISC is well positioned to extract value
	from both ends of the spectrum.  They have a great business model. The optics
	look pretty odd from here, at lesat to me however - I am very glad for: )open
	source & )other vendors of DNS SW.

/bill