Commerical Backup Solutions

Jamie Bowden jamie at photon.com
Fri May 18 12:08:59 UTC 2012

BackupExec was a Seagate product Symantec bought prior to their purchase of Veritas.  I've been using NetBackup for over a decade now (originally in Irix and Solaris heavy environments, but these days on Windows and Linux for the most part). Symantec are a pain the ass to deal with, but the core NetBackup functionality is still stable and reliable (and BackupExec has been brought into parity in many ways with NetBackup over the years, but still lacks some features and functions its bigger brother handles).  The master server role can be anywhere in your topology and the media server role is separated out and can exist across multiple hosts and locations.  Management can be done from any approved host running the management console software.  Tivoli and Legato are pretty similar feature, functionality, and being expensive, though I wouldn't wish Legato on anyone.

--
Jamie Bowden		(jamie at photon.com)
Sr. Sys. Admin.		(703) 243-6613 x3848