Cogent for ISP bandwidth

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri May 18 00:01:47 UTC 2012

In message <CAFANWtUrROGJZF0fFAZhs8QOnZQ2W4H7DqWDCwA+pUMnqCi1KQ at mail.gmail.com>
, Darius Jahandarie writes:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Robert Bonomi
> <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:
> >
> > Marshall Eubanks <marshall.eubanks at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Also, (from http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/do-not-call-list )
> >>
> >> The Do-Not-Call registry does not prevent all unwanted calls. It does
> >> not cover the following:
> >>
> >> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0calls from organizations with which you have establi=
> shed a
> >> business relationship;
> >>
> >> And, in this case, there is a previously established =C2=A0business rela=
> tionship.
> >
> > a) The "previously established business relationship" exemption expires 6
> > =C2=A0 months after the 'business relationship' ends. (This is in the 'fi=
> ne
> > =C2=A0 print' of the actual rules0 =C2=A0As the relationship in question =
> ended
> > =C2=A0 several years ago, according to the prior poster, this exemption w=
> ould
> > =C2=A0 not apply.
> >
> > b) Nothing in the Do-not-call rules applies to calls to business numbers.
> > =C2=A0 Callers to business numbers are not even required to respect a 'pu=
> t me
> > =C2=A0 on your "do-not-call" list', or 'do not call me again' request und=
> er
> > =C2=A0 the DNC rules.
>
> So the moral of the story is to make sure you always make your Cogent
> calls from your home phone? :-)
>
> --=20
> Darius Jahandarie

I suspect you could just sue them for harassment if they fail to
honour a request to stop calling you.

do-not-call lists cover home phones, in part, as governments, world
wide, recognise that individuals are not in the position to sue
every company that fails to honour requests to cease and desist.
Company to company battles are more even and many companies have a
existing relationship with lawyers as it is needed for other reasons.

There are laws in most countries that will stop this harassment.
You just need to pick the right one for the circumstances.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org