Cogent for ISP bandwidth

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Wed May 16 00:26:50 UTC 2012

On 5/14/12, Paul WALL <pauldotwall at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cogent is really better suited as a tertiary provider.
> Not a bad option, but you don't want to lose redundancy when they get
> involved in their peering dispute or de-peering du jour.

I'll agree with that; if you have less than 3 upstreams; Cogent sounds risky
for that very reason.    If you have at least 3 upstreams for your network,
and you make sure they don't share common modes of failure, such as
the same fiber, then Cogents' service may be a suitable choice for one of those.

If you are serious about network availability,  triple redundancy is the bare
minimum anyways,   because there are lots of bad things that can happen
to an upstream network or their cabling that may take 24+ hours to repair,
during which  time a single SFP failure, router maintenance  on the
remaining upstream, or lots of  other smaller  more common equipment
glitches may incur total outage,  before there is any real chance
to recover redundancy.

Least cost options of achieving triple  and quad-redundancy are attractive

--
-JH