Cogent for ISP bandwidth

Faisal Imtiaz faisal at snappydsl.net
Tue May 15 13:00:24 UTC 2012

Let me say it differently.

Take a look at thier AS174  peering relationship, (e.g using
bgp.he.net), you can see that they (Cogent) are very well connected
(directly) with all of the major networks. (this is what I meant by,
they deal with all of the major carriers).

Your experience with traffic is very different from what we have seen,
while I  can understand that, it can be due to many factors.

Based on AS Peering relationships, it would appear that Major / Most of
the end user ISP's have them in their mix. I my opinion the Hosting
providers use Cogent as a way to off load incoming  traffic from the
more expensive carriers. Cogent performance is very decent if the
traffic is all on-net ... they typically have issues when traffic is
crossing their network, i.e. coming in and going out via their peers to
other networks.

While the Kia and Ferrari example is cute, but when put into the context
of 'Traffic' or 'Speed limit', then neither has the advantage. One might
look good driving in a Ferrari.. but I digress.... packets are agnostic
of what brand of router they are traveling thru or whose network they
are transiting.

We are in agreement, that Cogent makes a good backup secondary or
tertiary in a mix of Ip transit. However having said that it is valuable
to check the bgp peering relationships of the different providers that
you have, to make sure that you are choosing providers based on actual
diversity rather than a perceived one.

Regards.

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet&  Telecom