Cogent for ISP bandwidth

Michael J McCafferty mike at m5computersecurity.com
Mon May 14 22:33:52 UTC 2012

Jason,

I agree with John. You can't use them as your only provider, but you
wouldn't do that with *any* provider. I will add that they answer the
phone quickly, and the person who answers usually has a clue, has access
to the routers, and can be helpful. It's one of the benefits that they
really only sell one product. Honestly, I think their support is better
than most and the deliver what they say or better.

In the past the had a A peer / B peer setup that was a little funky, but
I think they are getting rid of that as they upgrade hardware throughout
their network.

We do also use Level3 (and others). As long as they come in to your
facility on different fiber or otherwise meet you physical diversity
requirements, you should be pretty happy. Add low commits to other
providers for more diversity as needed.

Good luck,
Mike

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 15:12 -0700, John T. Yocum wrote:
> In my experience Cogent is fine when used in a BGP mix. When we used
> them, our service was quite reliable. Routing was funky at times, but we
> never had packet loss.
>
> --John
>
> On 5/14/2012 3:03 PM, Jason Baugher wrote:
> > The emails on the Outages list reminded me to ask this question...
> >
> > I've done some searching and haven't been able to find much in the last
> > 3 years as to their reliability and suitability as an upstream provider.
> > For a regional ISP looking for GigE ports in the Chicago/St. Louis area,
> > is Cogent a reasonable solution? Our gut feeling is that they don't
> > stack up against a Level3 or Sprint, but they are being very aggressive
> > with pricing to try and get our business.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jason

Michael J. McCafferty
CEO
M5 Hosting
http://www.m5hosting.com

Like us on Facebook for updates and photos:
https://www.facebook.com/m5hosting