VPN over satellite

Octavio Alvarez alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org
Wed May 9 02:48:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 02:42:27 -0700, Rens <rens at autempspourmoi.be> wrote:

> Could anybody recommend any hardware that can build a VPN that works well
> over satellite connections? (TCP enhancements)

I'd try splitting the solution into two devices: at the lower layer, the
tunneling part, which can be done with any traditional transport-layer VPN
solution; at the higher layer (prior to encryption), the TCP enhancement
part, for which, I'd look for dedicated and specialized multipoint WAN
optimization devices.

> I want to setup a L3 VPN between 2 satellite connections

That's brave! I'd check with the satellite provider if they are able to
forward your frames directly from VSAT to VSAT without going through the
hub, and, if multiple satellites are used, if they can route between
satellites. Most don't. Those two above are NOT easy to do. They will most
probably make your packets "double-hop", so your latency will be about 1.4
seconds.

--
Octavio.